Here are the rules and the plan governing playoff matches for second-to-last place teams in the WSPL and second-place teams in the Classic 1 division.
As stated in our rules, these teams will conduct a playoff game to determine who competes in the Washington State Premier League in Fall 2013:
- There will be one playoff match at Starfire Sports to decide who plays in the WSPL fall season.
- Date: all matches will be played on Dec. 16.
- Teams that opt not to play the playoff match will lose their spot in the WSPL. If a Classic team opts not to play the WSPL team, the WSPL team will retain its WSPL slot for the next season. If the WSPL team declines to play, the spot will go to the second-place team in Classic.
- If the match is tied after regulation time, there will be two 10-minute periods of extra time. The extra time will be Golden Goal -- the first team to score will win.
- If match remains tied at the end of extra time, penalty kicks will decide the match.
Teams need to let the league know no later than Dec. 3 if they plan to participte in the playoff match. Please email Mea@pugetsoundpremierleague.com.